Tableau is one of the best visualization software in the market and 7 years in a row as a leader in a Gartner Magic Quadrant for analytics and Business Intelligence platforms. Tableau is the most flexible, secure, and an end to end analytics performing and visualization tool.
It works on simple drag and drops functionality. It is most easy to use. You do not require any background in coding knowledge to perform analytics and create visualizations of your analyzed data. In this tutorial, we going to learn how to create a Tableau Dashboard in 9 simple steps.
To view your data in traditional Excel, it is very difficult to come up with possible insights. Only data analysts can come up with possible insights by performing a lot of work on the data, using macros, and more. But with Tableau, anyone can come up with possible solutions in a quicker way, provided the individual knows how to work on Tableau.
Features of Tableau – Makes Interactive Dashboards
The following are the incredible features of Tableau:
- Drag & drop functionality
- Almost connects to all the data sources available
- Automatic updates
- Can create no code queries
- Can ask questions in natural language to get possible solutions
- Creates a wide range of interactive visuals to create impeccable dashboards
- Most secured as security permissions are asked at all levels
- Mobile compatible dashboards
The dashboards can be created in Tableau Desktop or Tableau Public. If you have a licensed version of Tableau, dashboards can be created in Tableau Desktop or for practicing you can create dashboards in Tableau Public by just signing in.
Step by Step Create Tableau Dashboard
The following are the step-by-step explanation to create the best and most interactive Tableau Dashboard. Here we will create a dashboard in Tableau Desktop.
Step 1: Click On New Dashboard Button to Create New & empty Tableau Dashboard
- Click on the new dashboard button highlighted in red at the bottom of the bar to open a new dashboard or
- Click on Dashboard on the menu bar and select a new dashboard
- You can change the name of this dashboard as per your choice
Step 2: Select First Sheet that will be a part of your first Tableau Dashboard
- Now drag the sheet you want to include in your dashboard and drop it into the dashboard workspace.
- If you are considering sales data drag and drop the sales map sheet tab.
- You can select your own data for creating a dashboard
Step 3: Drag second Sheet that you want to use in Tableau Dashboard Workspace
- Now select the second sheet you wish to include in your data.
- Suppose now you can add the sales vs profit datasheet
- The order of the sheets is not important
- You can add the sheets in any order you want
Step 4: Now release the mouse button to drop the required chart at the desired location
- Now its time to drop the chart
- When you release the click button of your mouse the chart is dropped to your desired location
Step 5: You can now customize the Tableau Dashboard Sizes by making a selection from size
- You can customize your dashboard as per your wish
- You can resize the chart size
- You can add more sheets to your dashboard
- You can add filters as per your choice
- You can make the sheets fit properly in the dashboard by clicking on the fit option from the toolbar
Step 6: Now you will get interactive Tableau Dashboard
- After all the customization is done your dashboard is finally ready
- You can create many such impeccable and interactive dashboards as per your choice
Step 7: You can show the Dashboard by pressing F7
- Once your dashboard is ready, you can view it in presentation mode
- To enable presentation mode, click on the top button or press F7
Step 8: Present Dashboard on Sheet
- This opens your created dashboard in the presentation mode
- Till now you were working to create your dashboard in edit mode
Step 9: Share Tableau Dashboard with your team members
- Now its time to share your dashboards with other team members
- You can even publish your dashboard on the server, where it can be accessed by everyone
The above was the step-by-step process of creating a Tableau Dashboard. To publish your dashboard on the server you need to have the credentials. Tableau dashboard can be easily created if you have the vision preset in your mind. If you want to build more such Tableau Dashboard then Join Our Tableau Online Training Program and become a Tableau Expert.