Power BI Interview Questions and Answers is a vast topic. The interviewer can ask any questions according to his choice. Power BI Interview Q&A contains the essential questions gathered by our experts with years of experience and drilling down with other like-minded personnel about the possibilities of a particular problem to be asked.
POWER BI FOR DUMMIES
In the same way, our students and alumni have given thumbs up to these Power BI Interview Questions and Answers as a sure way to crack the interview as they have broken it with the back up of these questions.
Top 35 Power BI Interview Questions and Answers for Beginners
The following Power BI interview questions for Freshers will boost your confidence to attend your Power BI Interview. We have tried to cover all the necessary Power BI interview Questions in this article explained below:
1. Explain your idea of BI.
Business Intelligence (BI) uses technologies that is used to analyze data. This analysis of data gives better insights of data to the organization’s managers and executives to improvise their decisions in organizations’ growth.
2. State the components of Power BI.
Power BI is comprised of a total of 8 components as follows:
- Power View
- Power Pivot
- Power Query
- Power Map
- Power BI Service
- Data Management Gateway
- Power BI Questions and Answers
- Data Catalog
3. How many parts does Microsoft self-service Business Intelligence Solutions have?
Two parts. Namely, Excel BI Toolkit and Power BI. check out Why should you shift Reporting from Excel to Power BI
4. Explain the Parts of Microsoft self-service Business Intelligence Solutions.
- Excel BI Toolkit – It allows us to import data from other data sources to create excellent reports and model data according to the requirements.
- Power BI – This is the online solution tool of the Excel BI toolkit.
5. What do you mean by the Excel BI toolkit?
Excel BI Toolkit models the data according to your needs by importing all the data from various sources.
6. What is the cost of Power BI?
Power BI desktop is free of cost. Power BI Pro costs $9.99 per month after the 60-day trial period, whereas Power BI premium cost starts from $4,995 per month with the dedicated cloud space and storage resource.
7. What is the difference between Power BI and Power BI Pro?
Power BI is the basic version of this visualization software providing all the necessary tools used in it for a single user to create interactive reports. However, Power BI Pro involves more features like live data sources, scheduling data, more storage capacity, and interactivity within members, sharing, and much more.
8. Explain the need to sign up with a work email.
Power BI restrains itself from sending the email addresses of telecommunication providers or consumer emails. Therefore, work email addresses are bound to sign up.
9. State the pre-requisites for learning Power BI.
You should have a web browser and work email address, not ending with .gov, etc. Knowledge of Excel and Power Query will add an advantage. Download & Install Power BI Step-by-Step.
10. What does the term Power BI Desktop mean?
Power BI is a free application that can create great reports by shaping, cleansing, blending, and modeling the data to create interactive visualizations. It also allows you to publish your report to share with other fellow team members.
11. What work are email addresses currently supported?
The work email addresses ending with .org and .edu are currently supported.
12. What is Visualization?
Visualization is representing the results of the data in pictorial form like graphs, charts, etc.
13. What is a dashboard?
A dashboard is a space that is used to visualize the data of one or more reports. All the representations are viewed on the dashboard. Create your first Power BI Dashboard Step-by-Step.
14. Explain the meaning of tiles in Power BI.
A tile is a snapshot of the data that can be pinned to the dashboard of Power BI.
15. What do you mean by the on-premise Gateway?
It acts as a bridge to transfer the data, which is on-premise safely and securely.
16. What is meant by DAX?
DAX is used to create expressions and formulae and a library function of operators.
17. What is the difference between SUM() function and SUMX() function?
SUM() only allows you to take the aggregate of the total values of the data and returns a single value, and SUMX() allows you to apply a filter to it.
18. Explain how FILTER DAX is used?
It is used to filter column data depending on the functions. Eg. FILTER(Table,[Sales] > 100)
19. Define Report in Power BI.
When data is visualized from a single data set, it is called Report. A report can have multiple pages of visualizations.
20. What are the different connectivity modes in Power BI?
There are two types of connectivity modes in Power BI:
- Direct Query
21. State the formats in which Power BI is available.
Power BI is available in 3 formats:
- Power BI Desktop
- Power BI Service
- Mobile Power BI apps
22. What are the different fundamental building blocks of Power BI?
The building blocks of Power BI are as follows:
- Data Sets
23. What are slicers in Power BI?
Slicers are canvas visual filters in Power BI. By using slicers, the users can view the report by segmenting according to geometric regions, monthly sales, and more.
24. What do you mean by Synchronized Slicers?
Synchronized Slicers, as the name suggests, synchronizes slicers over multiple reports.
25. What is the CORR function?
CORR is called a Correlation Function. It provides the correlation between two distinct variables between -1 to +1.
26. What are the advantages of Power BI?
The following are the advantages of Power BI:
- It contains and makes useful dashboards
- You can publish your reports in a secure way in Power BI
- There is no memory and speed problems so you can access your data quickly
- Power BI gels up with the existing application
27. What are the different data destinations for Power Query?
There are two different data destinations we get from power query:
- Load to Excel Data Model
- Load to the table in Worksheet
28. What is the Power BI Service?
Power BI service is a cloud-based analytics solution. It helps you to create a dashboard, reports, and many more that can be shared with your internal as well as external team.
29. Which language is used in the power query?
The language used in the power query is M-code.
30. Where is the data stored in Power BI?
Data is mainly stored in Fact and Dimension tables in Power BI. Fact Table is the central table in the star scheme of a data warehouse and stores the quantitative information for analysis. Dimension table is just another table in the star schema and, as the name suggests, is used to store the attributes and dimensions of the data stored in fact table.
31. How to handle many to many relationships in Power BI?
Cross filtering is the best option used to handle many to many relationships in Power BI.
32. State the number of default graphs in Power BI.
There are in total 26 visualizations or default graphs in Power BI.
33. Where can you change and reshape the data in Power BI?
Data editing helps you to change and reshape the data in Power BI.
34. State the data sources that can be connected to Power BI.
The following sources can be connected to Power BI:
- HDInsight Interactive Query
- Azure Data Explorer
- Azure SQL Data Warehouse
- AtScale (Beta)
- Google BigQuery
- Azure SQL Database
- Azure HDInsight Spark and more.
35. Explain the difference between Power BI and Tableau.
The following are the differences between Power BI and Tableau:
- Power BI focusses only on modeling and reporting, while Tableau is the best tool according to data visualization.
- Power BI is less expensive, while Tableau is very expensive.
- Power BI is associated with Microsoft Azure, while Tableau uses python Machine learning.
- Power BI has a simple and easy to use interface while Tableau has a customized dashboard.
- Power BI becomes slow while handling massive amounts of data, while Tableau easily handles any amount of data. Check out more differences between Power BI and Tableau.
Top 35 Power BI Interview Questions and Answers for Intermediate
The following Power BI interview questions for Intermediate will boost your confidence to attend your Power BI Interview. We have tried to cover all the necessary Power BI Interview Questions for intermediate in this article explained below:
1. What leads to the advent of Self-service BI over Managed Enterprise BI?
Working with Managed Enterprise BI encountered many problems that lead to the emergence of self-service BI. The following are the difficulties working with managed Enterprise BI, which were overcome by Self-service BI.
- The data comes from various sources and not to Managed Enterprise BI, and hence, it is difficult to manage the huge data.
- As the data is quite complicated and huge most of the time, the company fails to draw valuable insights from the data.
- Due to time constraints, it is sometimes impossible to analyze the data. Hence, the companies need to rely on third-party vendors leading to slow productivity and increasing the budget of the company.
- Complex programming skills are most necessary for generating a report.
Self-self BI takes the data inputs from various data sources, but it can manage well. The data can be ingested well, and valuable insights can be drawn from the data easily. It does not need to depend on third-party vendors to analyze the data. Hence, time is saved, and the budget problem is not faced. Users are backed by dashboards that generate the reports without the knowledge of complex programming skills.
2. What is DAX?
DAX stands for Data Analysis Expression. To do the necessary calculations and data analysis on data in power pivot. It is a language the uses formula to compute the calculated column and row.
3. State the three fundamental concepts of DAX.
Syntax, Functions, and Context are the three-fundamental concepts of DAX. The formula of DAX in the proper format is called syntax. If the formula is not in proper order, it will give an error message. Functions have specific values, also called as arguments. Date/time, time intelligence, information, logical, mathematical, statistical, text, parent/child, etc. are the categories of functions. There are two types of context-row context and filter context.
4. State the most common DAX functions.
The following are the most common DAX functions:
- GEOMEAN, MEDIAN, DATEDIFF
- VAR (Variables)
- UNION, INTERSECT, EXCEPT, NATURALINNERJOIN, NATURALLEFEROUTER, SUMMARIZE COLUMNS, ISEMPTY
- VALUES, ALL, FILTER, CALCULATE
- ISBLANK, ISFILTERED, ISCROSSFILTERED
- IF, AND, OR, SWITCHED
- SUM, MIN, MAX, AVG, COUNTROWS, DISTICTCOUNT and Download List of Power BI DAX function in PDF form.
5. What do you mean by filters?
If we want to sort a particular data in Power BI, the sorting is done by applying filters. We can use a filter to any visualization/page/report/particular fields/values.
6. State different levels of filter.
The following are the different levels of filters:
- Report-level filter
- Page-level filter
- Visualization-level filter
7. Explain the process of dynamic filtering.
The following are the steps of dynamic filtering:
- Set all the data of a report ready to be published
- Publish it into group workspace
- Create a filter link
- Create a DAX calculated column
- Public overview report
8. Explain the uniqueness of CALCULATE and CALCULATETABLE functions.
Only these two functions can modify or filters the table. These functions can be added to the existing filter context of queries, override the filter context of queries and removing existing filter context from queries.
9. What are the common table functions used to group data?
SUMMARIZE() and SUMMARIZECOLUMNS() are the two common table functions. SUMMARIZE() is the main group by the function of SSAS. SUMMARIZECOLUMNS() is the new group by the function of SSAS but is more efficient in Power BI.
10. State the main difference between the Power BI personal gateway and the Data Management gateway.
Power BI personal gateway is used for the reports that are deployed in Powerbi.com. Data management gateway is an app installed on source data machines to deploy reports on SharePoint and schedule requests automatically.
11. What is the use of the Split function?
This function splits the string database on a given delimiter.
12. What do you mean by query collapsing?
The process of converting the steps in power query editor to SQL and executing it by source editor is known as query collapsing.
13. What is x-velocity in memory?
It helps in loading large sets of data in Power BI and visualize it immediately without any delays.
14. Can we have multiple custom relationships in Power BI?
No, we cannot have multiple custom relationships in Power BI.
15. What is the difference between Values() and Distinct() in DAX?
Both are used to do the same function of calculating values; the only difference is DISTINCT () can calculate null values as well.
16. State the difference between MAX and MAXA functions?
MAX function is used for numeric values, and MAXA is used when the values are non-numeric.
17. What is the incremental refresh?
This refresh is a saviour refresh. It refreshes the newly added data and saves time to truncate and load the entire data again.
18. What are the important tabs in Report Development Window?
There are three important tabs as follows:
- Report Tab
- Data modeling Tab
- Relationship Tab
19. What is embed code?
The reports in Power BI can be published on the web, and this will generate a link. This link can be shared with others and is called an embedded code
20. By what means you can compare target and actual value in Power BI?
Gauge charts can be used to compare target and actual value in Power BI.
21. Is it possible to create multiple dynamic connections between two tables?
No, it is not possible to make more than one dynamic connection between two tables.
22. What is Collect Function?
The main job of the collect function is to exclude null values. It has the property that it does not aggregate spatial values, and one cannot transfer the data to some other format.
23. What are the most widely recognized information forming systems?
The most widely recognized information forming systems are removing columns and rows, adding indexes an applying for sort order.
24. State the use of the MID function?
MID functions is used when you have to return the string character from a specified index position.
25. In which visual a solitary esteem can be shown?
Solitary esteem can be viewed by using disseminate plates visually.
26. Can we categorize the users in Power BI and how?
Yes, we can categorize Power BI users. The following is the categorization;
- Developers use Power BI to develop visuals and create reports. They are generally involved in technical work.
- IT professionals are mainly responsible for the security and centrally managing the data, Power BI services, and its users. They are also responsible for the technical aspects like scalability and availability.
- Business User’s basic trait is to be aware of the latest technology and its insights about how it will help them. These are common users who study the report and share it on the Power Bi website or mobile app.
- Analysts primarily use Power BI to develop reports, data models, dashboards, visuals, etc. to make other people understand the data insights that are drawn by them. An analyst uses Power BI to extract the data, prepare datasets, cleanse and prepare data to analyze and make reports.
The above stated are four types of users of Power BI according to their usage.
27. Explain Power Query in Power BI.
Power Query is used to performing ETL (Extract, transform and load), cleansing, and sharing the data with the use of intuitive interfaces without coding. It imports the data through various data sources and helps to join and append them. learn Top 10 Power Query Tips and Tricks.
28. State the data destinations for Power Query.
There are two data destinations for power query, namely, load to a table in worksheet and load to excel data model.
29. Do you know some common Editor Transforms/Power Query?
Some common Power Query/Editor Transforms are changing data types, adding new columns, splitting a column into multiple columns, choosing/removing columns, grouping, filtering rows, etc.
30. Which language is used in Power Query?
M-Code is the new programming language used in Power Query. It is easy to use and is similar to other languages, and it is case-sensitive.
31. State the general data shaping techniques.
The following are the common data shaping techniques:
- Applying for a Sort Order
- Removing Columns & Rows
- Adding Indexes
32. What different types of joins exist in Power BI?
There are two types of join available in Power BI:
- Horizontal join to append data from multiple tables
- Vertical join to merge the data from multiple tables
33. What are the different types of refreshes in Power BI?
The different types of refreshes are package refresh, tile refresh, model or data refresh and visual container refresh.
34. What does the query editor do?
Query editor performs functions such as connect to information, shape and join information, pivot segments, group columns, query equations, and create custom segments.
35. What does the ceiling function do?
Ceiling function has the same function as round up function in excel. For, eg. If the output is 4.7, then the ceiling function gives output 5.
36. What type of context style is allowed in Power BI DAX?
Filter and row style context style
Top 20 Power BI Interview Questions and Answers for Experienced
The following Power BI interview questions for Experienced will boost your confidence to attend your Power BI Interview. We have tried to cover all the necessary Power BI Interview Questions for Experienced in this article explained below:
1. What is the Power BI Q&A option?
With the Power BI question and answer option, you can write your query in natural language, and it understands it instantly and gives you relevant answers.
When you start typing our query in the space provided, I also provide suggestions according to your query.
2. If you click on a single data-point in one of the multiple visuals in a report, does it make any difference?
Yes, it makes a difference. When we click on a single data-point, the data gets selected and copied to the dashboard. The copied data can be pasted then anywhere according to the requirement of the users.
3. How can you use geographic data in Power BI reports?
Power BI uses a map chart and filled map chart to map geographic data both regionally and globally. Power BI uses geocoding for finding the coordinates by integrating Bing Maps with the location coordinates. This integration eases the user by providing the latitude and longitude coordinates. Learn the Difference between Power Bi Dashboard and Power BI Report.
4. Is it possible to refresh the published data on the cloud in Power BI?
Yes, it is possible to refresh the data published on the cloud by using gateways. Data Management Gateway is used for share point, and Power BI Personal Gateway is used for powerbi.com
5. What is the use of Power Query as Power Pivot can import the data from mostly used data sources?
Power Pivot can import the data, but the Power Query is a self-service ETL that not only loads the data but also transforms it while loading according to the user’s need. That is why Power Query is mostly used over the Power Pivot.
6. Name the datasets that can be used with streaming data tiles to create dashboards.
Hybrid datasets and Streaming datasets can be used with streaming data tiles to create dashboards.
7. What is the way to hide or unhide a specific report in Power BI?
Go to the menu bar and choose selection pane, then select the action to hide and unhide the report to pass to bookmark.
8. What is the role of the Time Intelligence Function?
Time Intelligence Function helps in Manipulating data by using periods.
You can share your Power BI report to the customer by install code and substance pack.
10. Why is Top N not accessible by or for report level filter and page-level filter?
Top N is not accessible for page-level filter and report level filter as they both are associated with different visuals.
11. What is the role of synchronizing slicers?
Synchronizing slicers synchronizes the slicers over various reports.
12. Are Power BI Report Server and Power BI service different?
13. Explain the way to change the value measure to show multiple measures.
This can be achieved by using witch function and harvesting measures.
14. Where is Q and A located in Power BI?
You will get it at the highest point of the report.
15. State the primary requirements of a table to be used in Power Maps.
Latitude, longitude, street, city, country/region, Zip Code/Postal Code, and State/Province, which can be geolocated by Bing.
16. State the three edit interaction options in a visual tile in Power BI desktop.
Highlight, Filter and None ae the thee edit interactions in a visual tile in Power BI desktop.
17. What is the process of SSRS to integrate with Power BI?
Some SSRS items can be pinned to the Power BI dashboard. When you click the tile on the dashboard, the SSRS report will be opened. Then to refresh the tile, a subscription is created. Soon the Power BI reports will be able to publish SSRS portal. Learn the difference between Power BI and SSRS
18. State DAX Syntax and explain its parameters.
The Syntax of the DAX function is as follows:
ProjectSales2019 = SUM (Sales [TotalSales2018]) *1.08
- ProjectSales2019 – Name of the measure
- = – Operator equating the two sides
- SUM – DAX function
- () – Parenthesis, defined arguments are enclosed
- Sales – table name for reference
- TotalSales2018 – Column name for reference
- * – Another operator
19. What are Power BI Templates?
The data-less(empty) PBIX files are called as Power BI Templates. As in this kind of PBIX file, we can use our data and hence call Power BI Templates. Download Power BI FREE Templates.
20. What do you mean by an Advanced Editor?
Advanced Editor is used to viewing the M-code of any query in Power BI. It is mostly used to check the correctness of syntax to be run in the editor.
21. What are the pre-requisites to install the gateway in the system?
The following are the requirements to install the gateway in any system:
- .Net 4.5 Framework
- 8 GB memory
- Windows 2012 R2 (64-bit version)
- 8 core CPU
- Windows 7 (64-bit version)
22. What are the pre-requisites if you want to connect Power BI to a database in Azure SQL Database?
The only and most important pre-requisite is to configure your firewall settings and allow remote connections. Now you can safely connect Power BI to a database in Azure SQL Database.
In the end, we would like to clarify that the above Power BI Interview Questions have helped to crack even the most robust interviews with the people who have prepared this. These Power BI Interview Questions and Answers will not only improve your chances of getting qualified for a job role but will also keep you up to date with Power BI industry trends and knowledge.