The CODE Function in Excel returns a numeric code for a given character. The CODE Function can be used to understand numeric codes given to the CHAR Function as it is the reverse process of CHAR Function.
➡ What is Code Function in Excel?
The Function that accepts one argument, for the text for which you want a numeric code is called CODE Function. It returns a numeric code for the first character in a text string. The code in Excel is based on the character set used by your computer. The purpose of the CODE Function is to get the code for a character. CODE Function falls under the category of Text Functions in Excel.
➡ What is the Syntax for Code Function?
The syntax to write the CODE Function is-
Text – It is the text for which you want a numeric code
➡ How does the Code Function works?
Let’s look at the CODE function. The CODE function accepts the text and generates the numeric code for it.
Find the example given in the picture below. We have a data table with the text and we need to generate the code for each text. Simply write the formula with CODE Function and the cell of the text.
=CODE(A1) where A1 is the cell no
As shown in the picture, we have generated the codes for different types of text.
➡ Where can Code Function be used?
- CODE Function can be used to abbreviate the text that contains letters in uppercase
- To remove specific unwanted characters in Excel, you can use a formula based on the CODE Function along with SUBSTITUTE Function
- Char Function
- Clean Function
- Choose Function
➡ Top 3 Points to Remember:
- CODE Function returns a numeric code only for the first character in a text string
- If you apply the CODE Function on a blank cell, then you will get a #VALUE! Error
- The number in CODE Function can have the range only from 1 to 255
This function is a very useful Excel Function as it helps returns the numeric code representing the character. It returns numeric value only. You can also combine this function with other functions as well.